Savoury Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: about 12 minutes Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main
Number of servings :
Cooking time: about 12 minutes
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups halved cremini mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into fine strips
200 g small broccoli florets
150 ml beef stock, preferably homemade
1 onion, sliced
10 ounces beef tenderloin, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons brandy
3 tablespoons bottled grated horseradish (optional)
150 ml sour cream
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the red bell pepper and broccoli florets and continue to sauté, stirring,3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the saucepan, and simmer until the broccoli is just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef strips to the onions and sauté until the beef begins to change color, about 1 minute. Stand back from the pan, pour in the brandy, and set light to it.
- As soon as the flames subside, stir in the horseradish, if using, and the sour cream. Add the vegetables with their cooking liquid. Stir well and season to taste. A rice pilaf is the traditional Russian accompaniment for Stroganoff; tagliatelle is also popular. Boiled new potatoes are also delicious with this vegetable-rich version.
Variations: Try lean ham, cut into fine strips, instead of the beef tenderloin and replace the mushrooms and broccoli with 3 cups shredded white or green cabbage and 1 cup frozen peas. Use vegetable stock instead of beef stock and hard cider instead of brandy (cider will not flame). Stir in 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or your favorite mustard) instead of the horseradish.
Nutrients per serving: cals 300, protein 20 g, fat 18 g (of which saturated fat 7 g), carbohydrate 6 g (of which sugars 5 g), fibre 1.6 g.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:481