“A handy cookie cutter shapes these sensational sweets. With a hint of mint flavour, these shamrock cookies are especially yummy with cocoa or chocolate milk.” —Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- green paste food colouring
- green coloured sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Gradually add flour and salt. Tint with food colouring. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-in. shamrock cookie cutter. Place cutouts 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with coloured sugar.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
1 cookie: 96 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.