“The Simple” Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Made with local BC cheeses, luxurious brioche and homemade fruit chutney, this grilled cheese, developed by chef Ned Bell of British Columbia, is simple yet unique and satisfying.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|1||15minutes + 30 minutes chilling time||40minutes|
|1||15minutes + 30 minutes chilling time|
- 2 oz Island Brie cut into thin slices
- 2 oz Courtenay Cheddar cut into thin slices
- 2 slices Brioche bread 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Fruit Chutney
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes drained and diced
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, cranberries, tomatoes, apple juice, vinegar, honey and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate to cool. Taste and adjust sweetness, if necessary.
- Butter one side of each bread slice and place buttered side down on a work surface. Layer the Brie followed by the Cheddar cheese on one bread slice. Top with the remaining slice of bread (butter side out).
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Cook sandwich, turning once, for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent burning. Serve immediately with the chutney on the side. Enjoy!
- Bread: Trim ends of unsliced bread to make approximately a 5-inch (12.5 cm) square. Slice crosswise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices.
If desired, in a blender or with a hand held immersion blender, puree chutney until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
If unable to find Island Brie or Courtenay Cheddar from British Columbia in your region, use any Canadian Brie or Canadian medium Cheddar.