Slow-Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup
“I love indulgent cream soups but not the fat that goes along with them, so I came up with a healthier version. The velvety texture of this cauliflower soup makes it feel so rich, and the spicy kick warms you up in a flash.” —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-3/4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 tsp dried celery flakes
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp adobo seasoning
- 3/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- shredded Cheddar cheese optional topping
- sliced green onions optional topping
- croutons optional topping
- For added flavour, a 32-ounce carton of vegetable or chicken stock may be substituted for 4 cups of water.
- Be sure to cook the vegetables until the cauliflower is very tender, so it can be processed to a smooth texture.
- When processing hot liquids in a blender, cool the mixture slightly and don't fill the blender jar too much. Follow the manufacturer's directions, removing the filler cap if necessary. Hold down the lid, protecting your hand with a thick towel or oven mitt, and begin blending at the lowest speed.
- For a touch of indulgence, serve this soup with a small dollop of sour cream.
1 cup: 80 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 3g protein.