Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato Chocolate Mole Soup
“This recipe is perfect for those days when you’re craving something just a little bit different. It’s spicy, flavourful and a great excuse to open up a bar of chocolate (if you’re the type of person who needs an excuse!).” —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings (2-1/2 quarts)||30minutes||6hours|
|8servings (2-1/2 quarts)||30minutes|
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp tequila optional
- 1 carton (32 oz) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- cubed avocado optional
- Cotija cheese optional
- chopped onion optional
- corn optional
- cilantro leaves optional
Portions: servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and seasonings; cook and stir until onion is tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. If desired, add in tequila, stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add broths and sweet potatoes. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 6-8 hours. Stir in chocolate until melted. Cool soup slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Serve with avocado and Cotija cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips
- Swirl a spoonful of sour cream into the mole soup before serving.
- A hand-held immersion blender makes pureeing this soup super easy.
- Top the soup with toasted, lightly salted pepita seeds.
- Make this soup vegetarian by replacing the chicken broth with more vegetable broth.
- Make this soup vegan by replacing the chicken broth with more vegetable broth and omitting the cheese.
1-1/4 cups: 203 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.