Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup
“I love that I can top this creamy soup with anything my heart desires, which means I can eat it several days in a row without ever having to have it the same way twice. You can substitute fresh onions and celery in this recipe if you prefer, but using the dried version makes it easy to throw together on a weekday morning.” —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings (2-1/2 quarts)||15minutes||5hours|
|8servings (2-1/2 quarts)||15minutes|
- 3 pounds (about 8 cups) sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp dried celery flakes optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Sour cream and pepitas optional
Portions: servings (2-1/2 quarts)
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Use 1 medium onion and 2 celery ribs, chopped, if you want to use fresh instead of dried.
- If you prefer fresh herbs, use 3/4 tsp. minced fresh thyme in place of the 1/4 tsp. dried.
- The potatoes will be tender in 5-6 hours, but they can be cooked longer since they'll eventually be pureed.
- Chipotle pepper adds a touch of smoky heat, but it can be omitted.
1-1/4 cups: 215 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 637mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.