Spiced Carrot and Chickpea Fritters
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Hors d’oeuvres | Hors d’oeuvres
Special diet :
3⁄4 lb (350g) carrots
1 clove garlic
A large bunch of fresh coriander
1 can (19oz / 540ml) chickpeas
11⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
11⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 large egg
2 tablespoons plain ﬂour
Oil for frying
To serve: hamburger buns and salad
- Peel the carrots, grate them coarsely and set them aside.
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic, then rinse, dry, and chop enough coriander to give 6 tablespoons.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and put them into a food processor with the garlic, coriander, and both ground spices. Process to a rough paste then add the carrot, egg, and ﬂour and process brieﬂy until evenly mixed but slightly rugged.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and divide the mixture into 8 fritters. Fry in batches for 2–3 minutes on each side, until golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve in buns with salad.
Variation: Try making the fritters smaller and serve them as a snack or a side dish accompanied by red onion relish (see recipe above), or with your favorite chutney.
Nutrients per serving: calories 464, carbohydrate 66g (including sugar 12g), protein 21g, fat 14g (saturated fat 2g), a good source of vitamins A, B group, and E.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:1296