Steak with Chipotle-Lime Chimichurri
“Steak gets a flavour kick from chimichurri. This piquant, all-purpose herb sauce is so versatile, it complements most any grilled meat, poultry or fish.” —Laureen Pittman, Riverside, California
Photo: Taste of Home
- 2 cups fresh parsley leaves
- 1-1/2 cups Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 medium red onion coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 5 garlic cloves sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1-1/4 tsp salt divided
- 3/4 tsp pepper divided
- 2 lb beef flat iron steaks or 2 beef top sirloin steaks 1 lb each
- For chimichurri, place the first 5 ingredients in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add oil, vinegar, lime zest, lime juice, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until blended. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- Sprinkle steaks with the remaining salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with chimichurri.
3 ounces cooked steak with 3 tablespoons sauce: 336 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 462mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fibre), 22g protein.