String Cheese Meat Loaf
“My daughter likes the cheese stuffed into this tasty meat loaf made with a blend of ground beef and Italian sausage. Served with a salad and sourdough bread, the meal is special enough for company.” —Laura Lawrence, Salinas, California
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6servings||15minutes||85minutes + standing|
|85minutes + standing|
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce divided
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1-1/2 tsp dried rosemary crushed
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz bulk Italian sausage
- 3 pieces string cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, egg, bread crumbs, garlic and rosemary. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
- Press half into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Place two pieces of cheese, side by side, near one end of loaf. Cut the remaining piece of cheese in half; place side by side on opposite end of loaf. Top with remaining meat mixture; press down firmly to seal.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Drizzle with the remaining spaghetti sauce; bake 10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Editor's Note: Three ounces of mozzarella cheese, cut into four 1/2-inch sticks, may be substituted for the string cheese.
1 slice: 391 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 911mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fibre), 28g protein.