Sweet Potato and Pesto Slow-Cooker Bread
“I like to bake fresh bread, both as a way to offer my family a delicious accompaniment to dinner and just because I enjoy the process. Baking bread in the slow cooker allows you to achieve a tender, perfectly baked loaf without turning on the oven, especially helpful in the summer.” —Shauna Havey, Roy, Utah
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|1loaf||45 minutes + rising||3hours + cooling|
|1loaf||45 minutes + rising|
|3hours + cooling|
- 1 package active dry yeast 1/4 ounce
- 2/3 cup warm half-and-half cream 110° to 115°
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 cup canned sweet potato puree or canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
- 1 container refrigerated prepared pesto 7 ounces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 2 tbsp, divided
- Dissolve yeast in warm cream. In a large bowl, combine egg, sweet potato puree, sugar, salt, nutmeg, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 18x9-in. rectangle. Spread pesto to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut roll lengthwise in half; carefully turn each half cut side up. Loosely twist strips around each other, keeping cut surfaces facing up. Shape into a coil; place on parchment paper. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cook, covered, on low until bread is lightly browned, 3 to 3-1/2. Remove from slow cooker and cool slightly before slicing.
1 slice: 271 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.