Tart Cranberry Chicken
“My husband loves chicken when it’s nice and moist, as in this autumn recipe. I serve it over hot rice with a salad and warm rolls. The ruby red sauce has a wonderful sweet-tart flavour.” —Dorothy Bateman, Carver, Massachusetts
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves 4 ounces each
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar optional
- hot cooked rice
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge chicken. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Add water, cranberries, brown sugar, nutmeg and, if desired, vinegar to the pan; cook and stir until the berries burst, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is tender, basting occasionally with the sauce. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Place chicken in freezer containers; top with sauce. If desired, place rice in separate freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water to chicken if necessary.
1 serving: 284 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 28g protein.