Teriyaki Shish Kabobs
“When I was a teenager, my father worked for an airline, and my family lived on the island of Guam in the South Pacific. A friend of my mother gave her this tangy-sweet recipe, and we enjoyed it often. Now I make it for my family, and they’re big fans as well.” —Suzanne Pelegrin, Ocala, Florida
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings||20minutes + marinating||15minutes|
|8servings||20minutes + marinating|
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 lb beef top sirloin steak cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 to 3 small zucchini cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 lb medium fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green or sweet red pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- For marinade, mix first five ingredients. Place beef and half of the marinade in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and turn to coat. Cover and reserve remaining marinade. Refrigerate beef and marinade overnight.
- On metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread vegetables and, on separate skewers, thread beef with pineapple. Discard remaining marinade in bag. Grill, covered, over medium heat until vegetables are tender and beef reaches desired doneness, 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- In a small saucepan, bring reserved marinade to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook 1 minute. Remove vegetables, pineapple and beef from skewers before serving. Serve with sauce.
1 serving: 306 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1203mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fibre), 27g protein.