Thai-Style Mussels with Chili and Basil
The flavours of lemongrass, basil, chili and coconut milk come together in this quick and easy recipe. If you want a bigger meal, simply serve the mussels with steamed brown rice and a crunchy Thai-style green salad.
Photo: Reader's Digest Brainpower Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 lbs mussels
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2-1/2 oz shallots finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 red chili seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stem white part only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fish stock salt-reduced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk low-fat
- 1/4 cup fresh basil shredded
- lime wedges to serve
- Scrub the mussels and pull out the beards. Discard any broken mussels, or open ones that don’t close when tapped. Rinse well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the shallots, garlic, chili and lemongrass, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that don’t open. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Transfer the mussels and liquid to a serving dish and sprinkle with the basil. Serve with the lime wedges.
Each serving provides 767 kJ, 183 kcal, 14 g protein, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate (2 g sugars), 1 g fibre and 751 mg sodium.