Three-Bean Baked Beans
“I got this recipe from an aunt and made a couple of changes to suit our tastes. With ground beef and bacon mixed in, these satisfying beans are a big hit at backyard barbecues and church picnics. I’m always asked to bring my special beans.” —Julie Currington, Gahanna, Ohio
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 5 bacon strips diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans pork and beans 15 oz. each, undrained
- 1 can butter beans 16 oz., rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans 16 oz., rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with bacon and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in sugars, ketchup, barbecue sauce, molasses, mustard, chili powder and salt until blended. Stir in beans. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, until beans reach desired thickness, about 1 hour.
Freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
3/4 cup: 269 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 708mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 7g fibre), 13g protein.