Tomato Beef Barley Soup
“When my children were young, I needed a soup that everyone would eat—something filling but also something delicious. My sons really liked barley soup from a can, so I decided to try making it myself. My boys are now young adults, and this is one of the first things they ask me to make when they come to visit.” —Karla Johnson, Winter Haven, Florida
Taste of Home
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 medium head cabbage coarsely shredded (about 5 cups)
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 carton beef broth 32 ounces
- 2 cans roasted garlic tomato sauce 8 ounces each
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained, 14-1/2 ounces
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn thawed, about 10 ounces
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef mixture to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in cabbage, carrot, salt, pepper, broth, tomato sauce and tomatoes. Cook, covered, on low 6 hours.
- Stir in corn and barley; turn up to high and cook until barley is tender, about 1 hour.
1-1/3 cups: 239 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1372mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fibre), 16g protein.