Tropical Compote Dessert
To make a more adult version of this recipe, use brandy instead of the extra tropical fruit juice. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 jar mixed tropical fruit 23-1/2 ounces
- 1 Jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 can mandarin oranges drained, 15 ounces
- 1 jar maraschino cherries drained, 6 ounces
- 1 medium firm banana sliced
- 6 individual round sponge cakes
- 6 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut toasted
- Drain tropical fruit, reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Combine tropical fruit and jalapeno in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Combine the sugar, ginger, cinnamon and reserved juice; pour over fruit. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Stir in the mandarin oranges, cherries and banana; cook 15 minutes longer.
- Place sponge cakes on dessert plates; top with compote. Sprinkle with coconut.
1 sponge cake with 2/3 cup compote and 1 tablespoon coconut : 257 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fibre), 1g protein.