Tuna & Roasted Pepper Salad
In this recipe, the richness of the tuna is complemented by the smoky sweetness of roasted pepper and the crispness of fresh green lettuce.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Type of meal : | Salads | Salads
Special diet : | Low fat
1 red and 2 yellow bell peppers
1 clove garlic
1 large head green lettuce
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 can (180 g) tuna in water, drained
1 tablespoon small capers
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup (125 g) sour cream
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 240°C. Place whole peppers on aluminum foil on baking tray. Roast 15 minutes, turning halfway through, or until blackened and blistered.
- Remove peppers from oven. Place cloth towel soaked in cold water on top. Leave 5 minutes. Peel away skin. Cut into broad strips.
- Cut garlic in half horizontally and rub cut surface over inside of salad bowl. Tear lettuce into small pieces. Add peppers and lettuce to bowl.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk 2 tablespoons oil with vinegar until combined; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a fork, break tuna into small pieces in a bowl. Add capers. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, sour cream and salt and pepper to taste and stir into tuna.
- Drizzle vinaigrette on pepper strips and lettuce. Place on a platter. Add tuna mixture and sprinkle with parsley.
Healthy Hint: Remarkably lean for a fish with so much flavour, tuna provides good amounts of healthy omega-3 fatty acids. It is also an excellent source of some B vitamins.