Vanilla Rhubarb with Strawberries
The tart flavour of fresh spring rhubarb is a perfect foil for sweet, succulent strawberries. Vanilla makes this recipe especially fragrant and delicious.
Number of servings : 4
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 10 Minutes + 1 hour chilling
Type of meal : | Desserts | Desserts
Special diet :
794g thin rhubarb stalks
1 vanilla bean
2⁄3 cup dry white wine
3 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
1. Peel rhubarb stalks and cut into small pieces.
2. Split open vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Cut in half crosswise. Place rhubarb, vanilla pod, vanilla seeds, wine, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
3. Cook rhubarb, covered, over low heat 4 to 5 minutes. The pieces should still hold their shape and not become too soft. Remove from heat; let rhubarb cool. Refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Remove vanilla bean and spoon rhubarb into small bowls. Cut about two-thirds of the strawberries into pieces and place in food processor with orange liqueur and sugar. Purée until a strawberry froth forms on the surface.
5. Pour puréed strawberries over rhubarb pieces. Garnish with remaining strawberries.