Veggie Nicoise Salad
“More and more people in my workplace are becoming vegetarians. When we cook or eat together, the focus is on fresh produce. This salad combines some of our favourite ingredients in one dish…and with the hard-boiled eggs and kidney beans, it delivers enough protein to satisfy those who are skeptical of vegetarian fare.” —Elizabeth Kelley, Chicago, Illinois
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced fresh oregano
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained, 16 ounces
- 1 small red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 lb small red potatoes halved, about 9
- 1 lb fresh asparagus trimmed
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans trimmed
- 12 cups torn romaine about 2 small bunches
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs quartered
- 1 jar marinated quartered artichoke hearts drained, 6-1/2 ounces
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or kalamata olives
- For vinaigrette, whisk together the first 8 ingredients. In another bowl, toss kidney beans and onion with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette. Set aside bean mixture and remaining vinaigrette.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain. While potatoes are warm, toss with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette; set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook asparagus just until crisp-tender, 2-4 minutes. Remove with tongs and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry. In same pot of boiling water, cook green beans until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Remove beans; place in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- To serve, toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette; toss green beans with 2 teaspoons vinaigrette. Toss romaine with remaining vinaigrette; place on a platter. Arrange vegetables, kidney bean mixture, eggs, artichoke hearts and olives over top.
1 serving: 329 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 12g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 11/2 starch.