Watermelon, Mint, Red Onion and Labna Salad
This Greek-style salad combines a variety of anti-oxidants from the melon, onion, mint and olive oil, with high-protein and delicious labna.
Photo: Anti-Ageing Diet Cookbook
- 3 lb watermelon seedless, rind removed
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced, rings separated
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 g labna
- to taste freshly ground pepper
- Cut watermelon crosswise into 1 cm (1/2 inch) slices, then cut into wedges about 4 cm (1 1/2 inches) wide. Remove and discard any visible seeds.
- Arrange watermelon wedges in a large shallow bowl. Scatter onion and all but a few mint leaves over the top. Put oil, vinegar and a good grind of pepper in a jug and whisk to combine. Drizzle over salad.
- Crumble labna or goat's cheese over salad and season with pepper. Scatter remaining mint leaves over the top and serve.
This salad is best assembled close to serving time, although the individual components can be prepared 2 hours beforehand.