Wild Blueberry and Quinoa Pudding
This recipe by Luis Valenzuela of Carmen, a popular Toronto restaurant, combines delicious wild blueberries and earthy quinoa to make an out-of-this-world dessert.
Photo: Wild Blueberry Festival, Evergreen Brick Works
- 1 pint wild blueberries
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 cups milk
- 2 lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 orange peel
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Put the milk in a pot add sugar, lime leafs, cinnamon, cardamon and orange peels and bring to boil, immediately after boil set aside and cover for 24 hours. Keep it in the fridge so the aromas and flavours will infuse with the milk.
- Next day wash quinoa for about 2 minutes with cold water.
- Cook quinoa with 4 cups of water until absorbed completely.
- Strain and wash with cold water. Return the quinoa to the pot and add the infused milk, bring to boil for 1 minute, then add the eggs and cornstarch whisking rigorously.
- Remove from heat and add wild blueberries.