“One day I wanted to serve zucchini as a side dish—but I didn’t have the time to slice and deep-fry it. So I came up with these fritters instead! They go especially well with barbecued ribs or pork chops and corn on the cob.” —Mary Dixson, Catlin, Illinois
Taste of Home
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 of 1-ounce package ranch-style dip mix
- 2 cups shredded zucchini 8 ounces
- ranch dressing optional
- In a deep cast-iron skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Meanwhile, combine milk and egg in a bowl. Stir together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture; blend well. Fold in zucchini. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls into hot oil. Fry until deep golden brown, turning once. Drain thoroughly on paper towels. If desired, serve with ranch dressing.
1 fritter: 191 calories, 11g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 333mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fibre), 4g protein.