Zucchini Pizza Casserole
“My husband has a hearty appetite, our two kids never tire of pizza and I grow lots of zucchini, so this tasty tomato casserole is absolutely tops with us throughout the entire year. Once you’ve tried the recipe, you may even decide to grow more zucchini in your own garden next summer!” —Lynn Bernstetter, White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can Italian tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, breaking meat into crumbles; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add green pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in centre reads 165°.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Italian sausage or ground turkey sub well in this casserole.
- Make it vegetarian by skipping the meat and increasing the veggies. Mushrooms or finely chopped cauliflower (or a combination of the two) taste great.
- This packs up nicely for weekday lunches.
1 cup: 315 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 25g protein.