Homemade Bath Products
Concoct your own bubble bath, scented soap, and more with these recipes. A few simple steps, and some pocket change is all it takes to create an all-natural, inexpensive, and luxurious bathroom experience in your home.
Bubble Bath for Kids
This simple recipe provides a scented, bubbly bathful of suds you know are safe for your child and, as a bonus, helps you recycle extra shampoo. As always, parents should supervise children’s use of such products. Beware of slippery tubs. Bubble baths are fun, but children shouldn’t use them daily. Too much of a good thing could irritate sensitive skin.
1/2 cup shampoo
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1. In a medium bowl, mix shampoo and water. Gently stir until blended. Add salt. Stir until mixture thickens.
2. Pour through a funnel into a clean bottle with a tight cap. This bubble bath will keep safely for months in the bathroom.
Liquid or Gel Soap
This bath or hand soap is easy to cook up and is a good way to use up old slivers of bar soap. Transfer the liquid soap to an empty pump container and you can supply your bathroom for just a portion of the price you’d pay at the store.
2 cups soap flakes or grated bar soap
2 litres water
2 tablespoons glycerin
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine all the ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the soap flakes have dissolved.
2. Transfer the mixture to a clean 2-litre container and cover tightly. For a thinner gel soap, increase the water to 4 litres.
Almond Rose Soap
Here’s a simple method of soap-making using just a few basic tools. You’ll create a fragrant soap that gently cleans.
2 tablespoons dried red rose petals
235 g pure soap flakes
2/3 cup boiling water
1/2 cup rose water
2 tablespoons ground almonds
9 drops geranium essential oil
1. Pound the rose petals with a mortar and pestle. In a large bowl, combine the ground petals, soap, and water and stir until smooth. If the soap starts to solidify, place the bowl over near-boiling water.
2. Stir in the rose water and ground almonds. Allow to cool. Stir in the essential oil.
3. Shape mixture into six balls and flatten them slightly. Allow the soap to harden between sheets of wax paper. Keep unused soap in a cool, dark place until needed.
Strawberries and Cream Bath Bags
Here’s a charming idea you can make for about a dollar that provides a relaxing and soothing bath. The oatmeal mixture may help relieve dry or itching skin. For extra-sensitive skin, reduce or eliminate the essential oil. Dress up this bath product by scooping it into attractive cloth bags bought at a crafts store to create your own inexpensive version of high-end bath goodies.
1/2 cup oatmeal (regular or quick)
1/2 cup powdered milk
4 tablespoons almond meal (if necessary, whirl almonds in blender, coffee grinder, or food processor)
16 drops strawberry essential oil
1. In a small bowl, combine oatmeal, powdered milk, and almond meal, stirring to mix well. Stir in essential oil until blended. Divide mixture among three pretty cloth bags, and tie them at the top. Tie a generous loop of string or ribbon to the top of each bag.
2. When ready to use, hang the bag from the tub faucet by its loop. When you fill the tub, the water will run over the mixture inside the bag, dispersing it into the tub.
3. Keep bags in a cool, dark place until ready to use.
Cinnamon Oatmeal Milk Bath
Mixing up this pleasantly scented bath will give you a double benefit. You’ll gain as much pleasure making the concoction as you will from soaking in it. The combination of powdered milk, oatmeal, and cornstarch will leave you feeling silky and soft. The cinnamon will gently warm you and offer up a soothing aroma.
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup finely ground oatmeal
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and whirl to combine. Transfer into a clean, tightly covered, moisture-proof container, where it will keep indefinitely.
2. Add about 1/2 cup of the Cinnamon Oatmeal Milk Bath to a full tub of warm water and enjoy the soak.